Lesson 5 Review Answers
Amines, Amides & Amino Acids
1. Name the following molecules.
2. Draw the following molecules.
3. Return to questions 1 and 2 and label the amines as primary, secondary or tertiary.
1a = secondary, 1b = primary, 1c = secondary, 1d = primary, 1f = primary
2a = tertiary, 2b = primary, 2d = primary, 2e = tertiary, 2g = primary
4. Return to questions 1 and 2 and label all of the asymmetrical carbons.
Asymmetrical carbons are marked with a star on the structure.
5. Explain how you would differentiate between N-methylbutanamide and methyl butanoate by IR only.
N-methylbutanamide would show absorption due to the N-H bond to the left of 3000cm-1, between 3200 – 3400 cm-1. Since this bond is not present in methyl butanoate, you would see no absorption in this range.
6. Classify each of the following as cyclic, aromatic, heterocyclic or polycyclic.
7. Complete the following reactions